Rabbit meat, low on fat and high on protein, is extremely nutritious, say officials of the Department of Animal Husbandry. Rabbit meat contains only 3 per cent cholesterol. “It is a recommended diet for the aged, hypertensive or diabetic patients. The nutritive value is on par with fish meat,” says Dr K. Sharmila, veterinary officer (Rabbitry) at Livestock Breeding Farm, Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences at Hesarghatta.
But few know that broiler rabbit consumption is legal and only an estimated 10 per cent of bred rabbits make it to the dining table. “Unfortunately, it is difficult to reason out the poor consumption, despite the meat being extremely nutritious,” lament officials and promoters.
Eat rabbit, Stay fit…
Crazy Rabbit Meat
TEN REASONS, WHY YOU SHOULD EAT RABBIT MEAT..!
1. It is one of the best white meats available on the market today.
2. The meat has a high percentage of easily digestible protein.
3. It contains the least amount of fat among all the other available meets.
4. Rabbit meat contains less calorie value than other meats.
5. Rabbit meat is almost cholesterol free and therefore heart patient friendly.
6. The sodium content of rabbit meat is comparatively less than other meats.
7. The calcium and phosphorus contents of this meat or more than any other meats.
8. The ratio of me to bone is high meaning there is more edible meat on the carcass than even a chicken.
9. Rabbit meat with the many health benefits does not have a strong flavor and is comparable to chicken but not identical.
10. Rabbits are one of the most productive domestic livestock animal there is. Rabbits can produce 6 pounds of meat on the same feed and water as the cow will produce 1 pound of meat on the same feed and water.