- Fish contains many essential nutrients including iodine and Vitamin D. Eating fish regularly can help in improving brain and eye function and cut down risk of various diseases.
- Eating fish regularly have been found to reduce risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Regular consumption can reduce decline in brain function during old age. People who eat fish regularly have been found to have more grey matter in the brain centers which are responsible for controlling memory and emotion.
- An important function of omega-3 fatty acid in fish is that it may help in fighting and treating depression. People with depression can include fish in their diet along with various anti-depressants, in order to fight depression more effectively.
- Fish is the only good dietary source of Vitamin D. Vitamin D is quite a common deficiency in people and is essentially acquired by the body through exposure to sunlight. You can also have cod liver oil to increase Vitamin D consumption. Sufficient Vitamin D is required for healthy bones and joints.
- People who consume fish regularly are less likely to suffer from autoimmune diseases like type 1 diabetes. Regular fish consumption also reduces risks of rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis.
- Incidence of asthma in children can be reduced by regular fish consumption.
- Fish can help in protecting vision in old age and may also help in improving sleep quality. Improved sleep quality results in improved function on day-to-day basis.
Thanks to doctor.ndtv.com