Perfect Chicken Dum Biryani in easy steps,
Herbs, spices and condiments,
1. Cloves (6 of them)
2. Cinnamon (1 stick)
3. Green Cardamoms (6 of them)
4. Bay leaves (2 of them)
5. Shahi Jeera / Caraway Seeds (1/2 Teaspoon)
6. Pinches Grated Nutmeg (Few)
7. Mace (Few)
8. Coriander powder (2 Teaspoon)
9. Red Chili powder (1 Teaspoon)
10. Fresh Mint (Chopped – 5 to 6 pieces)
11. Green Chilies (Chopped – 2 to 3 pieces)
12. Tomatoes (Chopped – 4 to 5 pieces)
13. Fresh Coriander Leaves (whole bunch)
14. Medium Size Onions (8 to 9 pieces)
15. Pure Turmeric Powder (1/2 Teaspoon)
16. Bone Cube Chicken (12-16 pieces / 1Kg)
17. Oil (for Cooking and deep frying)
18. Ginger Garlic Paste (2 Teaspoon)
19. Milk (1/2 Cup)
20. Saffron / Kesar (Few Strands)
21. Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee (6-7 Tablespoons)
22. Cashew nuts (Few)
23. Raisins and Almonds (Optional)
Step 1 : Marinating the Chicken for 6 to 12 Hours
Mix all of the ingredients together and let the chicken marinate for about 6 to 12 hours. (more hours result in great taste)
- Bone Cube Chicken (12-16 pieces / 1Kg)
- Pure Turmeric Powder (1/2 Teaspoon)
- Ginger Garlic Paste (1 Teaspoon)
- Coriander Powder (1 Teaspoon)
- Little Salt
Step 2 : Deep fry the onions
Slice the onions (very thin) and fry them in batches, Make sure that the heat should be medium, not too high. Stir the onions continuously for uniform browning. When they become light brown, drain them on paper towel. They will get nice crispy as they cool down.
Step 3 : Cook the Marinated Chicken
Heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil and add the bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms, little bit of shahi jeera and allow to crackle. Now add a tablespoon of ginger garlic paste and stir a little.
Now tip out all the marinated chicken and the marinade. Cook on a high flame so that the water gets evaporated quickly. Add the chopped tomatoes, mint, green chilies, all dry powders (1 tablespoon coriander, chili), and salt. Cook till the chicken is cooked and add one third of the fried onions.
Cook the Chicken
Step 4 : Flavoring the Rice (three fourth cooked)
The rice needs to be three fourth cooked and the rest gets cooked on dum.
- Lots of water (10 Times of rice)
- Cinnamon Stick
- Green Cardamoms
- Caraway Seeds / Shahi Jeera (Rest)
Boil all this for a few minutes on a high flame (7 minutes or so). Strain the rice and spread it on a clean surface, so that it cools faster.
Step 5 : Make milk and nuts Ready
Boil the milk and add crushed saffron, Also fry the cashew nuts in the desi ghee until that’s golden brown. Add almonds and raisins, if required. Keep some melted desi ghee aside.
Step 6 : Layering the Biryani
Take a heavy bottom pan with a lid (non stick is best). Take some melted ghee and grease the bottom of the pan with it. Then put a layer of rice.
Layer of Rice (First)
Then a layer of marinated chicken,
Layer of Marinated Chicken
Followed by layer of fried onions and then a layer of chopped coriander,
Layer of Fried Onion and Chopped Coriander
Repeat and finish off with the rice layer. Lastly, sprinkle the cashews and other nuts. Pour the saffron milk on top. Also pour some Desi Ghee down the sides of the pan and some on top of the rice. It will trickle down with the heat.
Step 7 : Final / Dum
Seal the lid by sticking it with some big foil to restrict the steam from escaping and place it on a very slow flame.Ideally place this vessel on top of another flat pan or tawa, so that the bottom of the pan doesn’t come in direct contact with the heat source. Leave it for one hour.
The Perfect Chicken Dum Biryani is ready now, so serve them with cold raita.
A Perfect Chicken Biryani